Bringing you answers to questions that have been submitted to our inbox, as well as other interesting Physical Therapy or Healthcare Trivia.
1) I suffer from restless leg syndrome, are there any simple exercises or treatments that can help me sleep at night?
Sometimes doing some gentle stretching prior to going to bed will be helpful, but my number one recommendation to patients with restless leg syndrome is to do lavender Epson Salt soaks. Epson salts are primarily magnesium which is a natural muscle relaxant. The warm water is soothing, and lavender is a basic aromatherapy relaxation scent.
2) My shoulder hurts every time I take my dog for a walk, because he is so strong. Are there any exercises I can do to help me strengthen / protect my shoulder
There are so many exercises designed to strengthen and stabilize the shoulder, and without performing an evaluation to determine what your weak links are, it is really impossible to select specific exercises for you. However, you could wrap the leash around your back so that the dog has to pull against your entire body weight instead of playing tug of war with your shoulder.
3) Is potassium really that important? What are the best sources of potassium?
Studies suggest that boosting your potassium levels and decreasing your salt intake can decrease your risk of suffering a stroke by over 20% by preventing oxidative damage and blood vessel wall thickening. Potassium helps regulate water levels in your body, therefore, drinking massive amounts of water will not hydrate an individual if their potassium levels are very low. Potassium also protects blood vessels from suffering oxidative damage. Most people recognize bananas as great sources of potassium, but the best source of potassium is …SWEET POTATOES!
4) What are some good antioxidant sources?
Cranberries, Blueberries, and Blackberries are all antioxidant rich fruits.
A big thank you to all of you who submitted questions to our inbox. I will do my best to continue posting answers to them every Saturday.
- What Is Gait Training Physical Therapy? - March 22, 2023
- What To Expect From Physical Therapy After A Broken Arm - March 20, 2023
- What Are The 7 Types Of Physical Therapy? - March 15, 2023