Waking up in pain is a terrible way to start the day. It’s essential to identify the root cause of the pain and then take proactive steps to correct the issue. In this article, we’re going to talk about pain that occurs upon waking. What could be causing this pain and how can it best be treated? We answer those questions and more below.
There are many potential factors that could be contributing to this type of pain. Here are some of the most common causes of waking pain:
- Car accident injuries such as whiplash can cause neck pain that can make it very difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Sports or exercise injuries
- Repetitive stress injuries (tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.) can result in chronic pain over time that can flare up upon waking.
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis are conditions that build up over time and can particularly rear their heads when you wake up.
How Physical Therapy Can Help
If you’re experiencing pain upon waking up in the morning, physical therapy can help. The first step is to determine what exactly is causing the pain in question. In order to narrow down a diagnosis, your physician or physical therapist will start with a routine physical examination, coupled with a review of your medical history. To solidify a diagnosis, you may also need further diagnostic testing, such as X-ray, MRI, or CT scans, or diagnostic injections. Once the cause of the pain has been identified, you can look into treatment options. In most cases, a physical therapy program (perhaps coupled with other treatments) can help you decrease pain and sleep through the night.
Twin Cities Physical Therapy Clinics
OrthoRehab Specialists has been providing physical therapy care for patients throughout the Twin Cities for nearly three decades. Our physical rehabilitation experts can help you reduce pain and improve mobility after an injury, surgery, or if you are dealing with a specific condition. We offer direct access to physical therapy in Minnesota, and also have referral relationships with over 600 providers. That means you can set up an appointment with us with or without a prescription. Contact us today at our Minneapolis or Edina physical therapy clinic locations to set up your appointment.
- 5 Common Summer Injuries That A Physical Therapist Can Help Treat - June 20, 2022
- Combating Deconditioning With Physical Therapy - June 15, 2022
- Managing High Blood Pressure With Physical Therapy - June 13, 2022