Happy New Year! If you’re like a lot of people, you probably have some health-focused resolutions on your mind as we enter the new year, but know that you don’t have to try and achieve all of your goals by yourself. Helping patients achieve their personal goals is what we do best at OrthoRehab Specialists, and we’d be happy to work with you so that you can hit your goals in 2024. In today’s blog, we share some tips for how a physical therapist can help you achieve your resolutions and goals for the new year.
Achieve Your Goals With The Help Of A PT
Whether you have extremely lofty physical goals or you just want to take a few small steps to become a healthier version of yourself, we want to be there to help. Here’s a look at some common New Year’s resolutions that we hear, and some ways that we can make those resolutions a reality.
- “I want to exercise more.” – Exercising more is likely the most popular resolution at the start of the year, but buying that gym membership won’t necessarily lead to more exercise. You need to find an exercise routine that you find enjoyable (or at least bearable) so that you continue to stick with it throughout the year. We can work with you to develop a specific exercise or PT routine based on your strengths, deficits, likes and dislikes so that you look forward to exercise instead of dreading it.
- “I want to become a better athlete.” – Whether you’re hoping to make the varsity team as a freshman or you’re working your way back to the field after an injury or surgery, we can help you become a better athlete at your sport. Most of our physical therapists played high school or college sports, meaning they possess a specific understanding of how to improve your game based on your sport or position. We work with all sorts of athletes in season or during the offseason to ensure they get a leg up on the competition.
- “I want to run my first 5K/10K/Half/Full Marathon” – If you’re truly serious about running your first marathon or you’re simply hoping to set a personal best at your next race, connect with a professional who can ensure that your form and your training program gets you where you want to be. We have special biofeedback devices that can break down your form frame by frame and help your PT understand which adjustments need to be made so that you can become a more efficient runner. We can also set you up with a training schedule so that you can be ready for a race that’s weeks or months away.
- “I want less daily pain.” – Resolve to put an end to daily aches and pains this year by working with a physical therapist. You don’t need to accept that pain is a part of your daily life just because you’re a bit older. Oftentimes chronic discomfort can be reduced or eliminated by pursuing a physical therapy routine or making some simple adjustments to other daily habits, like your diet or your sleep schedule. We can help you ditch the daily pain and become a healthier version of yourself.
- “I want to remain independent.” – For older adults who may be slowing down or living on their own, maintaining their independence is often of the utmost importance. We want you to be confident living on your own and we want your loved ones to have peace of mind knowing that you are capable of living an independent and high-quality life. Whether that is through balance training, fall prevention or overcoming other movement restrictions, we can work with you so that you can maintain your independence for years to come.
You don’t need to try and keep all your resolutions on your own. We can make the process much easier, so consider connecting with a physical therapist so that you can have a better chance of hitting your goals in the new year. For more information, or to set up your first session give the team at OrthoRehab Specialists a call today at (612) 339-2041.