If you’re like most people, you probably live a pretty busy life. Between work, family and personal commitments, you don’t always have time to complete a full 30-40 minute workout each day. However, you don’t always need to do your workout in one session in order to reap the benefits of exercise. We oftentimes tell busy clients to try working some “mini” workouts into their schedule. In today’s blog, we take a closer look at some of the benefits of performing mini workouts throughout the day.
If you don’t have an hour to get to the gym and back, but you still want to challenge your body with physical activity, consider adding a couple mini workouts to your daily routine. Mini workouts are 5-10 minute exercise routines that you can perform whenever you find that you have a few minutes. They offer a few unique benefits compared to a more traditional exercise routine, including:
- Time Saving – These mini workouts save you a little bit of time because they require very little prep and clean up, and you’re also not spending time heading to and from the gym.
- Minimal Equipment – You can perform a mini workout with some light dumbbells if you like, but odds are you can develop a mini workout that doesn’t require a bunch of equipment.
- Anywhere, Anytime – We’re not saying that you should start planking while waiting at Starbucks for your coffee, but these equipment-free mini workouts can be performed more easily in a variety of locations when you have a few minutes to spare.
- Quicker Recovery – You’ll have a shorter recovery period because your muscles aren’t stressed as intensely as they would be during a traditional workout.
- Easily Adjustable – Since you’re only committing to 5-10 minute workouts at a time, you can switch things up regularly so that you don’t get bored with the same routines each day.
- Cost Effective – You don’t need to pay for a costly gym membership if you pursue mini workouts from the comfort of your home.
Of course, mini workouts have some disadvantages compared to a traditional workout, so it’s probably best to avoid completely eliminating standard workouts from your weekly routine. These mini workouts are a great complement to your normal routine when life just gets busy or hectic for a few days.
You can build your own mini workout as you see fit, but some exercises that we recommend to clients who are looking for some simple exercises to perform from the comfort of their home include:
- Wall Sits
- Sit Ups
- Jumping Jacks
- Calf Raises
- Push Ups
- Pull Ups
The goal here is to perform a 5-10 minute workout, and to perform 2-4 mini workouts throughout the course of the day. These exercises will challenge your muscles and get your heart pumping, which is something you want to do each and every day. We know life can get busy, but if you can carve out just a little time to get these mini workouts in when life gets busy, your body will be stronger for it.
For assistance developing a mini workout routine of your own, or to connect with a physical therapist about an issue you’re dealing with, reach out to the team at OrthoRehab Specialists today at (612) 339-2041.