Physical therapy can be beneficial in treating injuries and conditions, but it is perhaps most essential during surgical recovery. Rehabilitation therapy can help ease the pain of post-surgical trauma, and boost your range-of-motion. In the case of knee replacement surgery, PT helps you acclimate to your new knee. In this article, we will discuss the importance of a structured physical therapy routine after knee replacement surgery.
The Importance of Physical Therapy for Knee Replacement Patients
We often don’t realize just how much we use and depend on our knees. We wear them out so much over time that the knee is the most commonly replaced joint in the entire body. Total knee replacement surgery can help patients suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee, bone diseases, and fractures. The procedure involves removing damaged bones in the knee joint and replacing them with metal and/or plastic parts.
Physical therapy can be extremely beneficial before and after a knee replacement procedure. A physical therapist can:
- Examine your knee before surgery and start you on a prehabilitation routine to prepare you for the procedure.
- Teach you how to get in and out of bed, and move around safely in the days immediately following your procedure.
- Teach you specific exercises and stretches that will help improve your balance, strength, range-of-motion, and overall functionality.
Edina Knee Physical Therapist
OrthoRehab Specialists is a team of skilled physical therapists who have been treating patients in the Twin Cities region for over twenty five years. Knee rehabilitation is one of our many specialties. If you have recently had knee replacement surgery, or are contemplating the procedure, contact us to set up an appointment with a rehabilitation professional. Even if your doctor hasn’t prescribed you physical therapy, you can still make an appointment, as we offer direct access to physical therapy in Minnesota. Physical therapy can be instrumental in helping you regain your mobility, range-of-motion, and also decrease your pain levels after knee surgery. Make your appointment at our Edina or Minneapolis physical therapy clinics today.
- Why Tendonitis Is Best Treated With A Physical Therapist - March 27, 2023
- What Is Gait Training Physical Therapy? - March 22, 2023
- What To Expect From Physical Therapy After A Broken Arm - March 20, 2023