Lifting weights regularly is a great way to stay in shape and strengthen your back (which can help prevent spinal injuries). However, lifting weights can also lead to back injuries under the right circumstances. Here are a few of the most common back injuries a person can sustain while lifting weights, as well as a few prevention tips.
Muscle strains are the most common back injuries that happen in the gym. Muscle strains can strike anywhere in the back – from the neck to the lower back. Muscle strains can cause sudden and immediate pain in the back as well as spasms.
Slipped spinal discs can also result from a weight lifting session. Performing extremely heavy lifts with improper technique (such as deadlifting, or clean-and-jerk lifts) can put enough force on the spine that a disc can herniate. Herniated discs can cause back pain, numbness, and other sensory issues that may not be immediately apparent.
Preventing Weight Lifting Injuries
Prevention is often the best form of treatment. Many of these weight lifting back injuries can be avoided by following some tips and tricks. Here are some quick and easy tips for preventing these weight lifting back injuries:
- Practice proper lifting techniques.
- Do more reps with less weight.
- Use a spotter when lifting large amounts of weight.
- Wear a weightlifting belt for support.
- Only do squats, deadlifts, and clean-and-jerks with property training and supervision. Done incorrectly, these can lead to serious back injuries.
Even with the best intentions and prevention protocols, back injuries can occur in the weight room. When that happens, it’s important to get the treatment you need.
Physical therapy can be instrumental in treating back injuries from weight lifting. The Minneapolis physical therapists at OrthoRehab Specialists have been helping patients recover from weight lifting injuries for the past several decades. Contact our Edina or Minneapolis clinics today to set up your appointment today!
- What Is Gait Training Physical Therapy? - March 22, 2023
- What To Expect From Physical Therapy After A Broken Arm - March 20, 2023
- What Are The 7 Types Of Physical Therapy? - March 15, 2023