Physical therapy can help you get back to normal physical function after an injury or surgery, but like any health condition, prevention is preferred to treatment. And while you can’t prevent every single type of injury, there are some things you can do each day to keep yourself healthy as best as possible. In today’s blog, we share five healthy milestones you should strive for every day if you want to remain physically capable long into your golden years.
Hit These Five Milestones Every Day
Here’s a look at five milestones to try and achieve every day to help keep your body physically fit.
- 10,000 Steps – Our bodies rely on movement to develop muscles and keep our joints functioning properly, so make sure you’re moving a bunch throughout the day. One way to do this is to set a step goal for each day, and many people land on 10,000 as a good goal to shoot for. Most people can take about 1,000-1,200 steps every 10 minutes when performing a dedicated walking routine, and when coupled with the normal walking you do throughout the course of your day, you may not need much of a dedicated walking routine in order to hit 10,000 steps each day.
- 100 Ounces Of Water – Your body also functions better when it’s properly hydrated, so it’s important to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Water helps to keep muscles functioning properly and avoid problems like spasms and cramps, and it’s also helpful for normal joint function. A good milestone to aim for is 100 ounces of water a day. If you have a 32-ounce mug and you drink one in the morning, in the afternoon and at night, you’ll be right near this target amount.
- Seven Restful Hours Of Sleep – Eight hours used to be considered the standard for how much sleep you should get in a night, but seven good hours of sleep can also get you back to where you want to be in the morning. Regularly receiving this benchmark is important, because if you get 10 hours of sleep one night and five hours the next, it can throw off your body’s circadian rhythm. Don’t just be in bed for seven hours either, make sure you’re sleeping for that period. Turn off the television and keep your phone out of arm’s reach so that distractions don’t keep you awake and limit your sleep pattern.
- 2,000 Calories – Another milestone to consider each day is to count your calories and work to stay under 2,000 or whatever amount is recommended for your age. You can do this by making smart food choices and limiting your snacking. Don’t overindulge in sweets, carbohydrates or fats, and try to be mindful about your daily calorie count.
- 30 Minutes Of Moderate-Intensity Exercise – Finally, one of the best things you can do for your health is to partake in at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise. Going for a run, hitting the elliptical, swimming laps or doing a routine at the gym will all help strengthen soft tissues and keep your body functioning optimally. Exercise also helps improve your cardiovascular health, which only becomes more important as you age. A regular exercise routine can also help you hit your walking milestones, burn off extra calories or tire you out so it’s easier to fall asleep at night, so it can help with other milestones on this list as well!
Of course, if a physical issue does develop and you need help getting back to full health, the team at OrthoRehab Specialists is here to support you. For more information or to schedule your next physical therapy appointment, give our team a call today at (612) 339-2041.
- What Is Gait Training Physical Therapy? - March 22, 2023
- What To Expect From Physical Therapy After A Broken Arm - March 20, 2023
- What Are The 7 Types Of Physical Therapy? - March 15, 2023