The mild weather we’ve had recently here in Minnesota has served as a teaser of things to come. Soon people will be able to get outside and get your yard or garden back in shape, or resume your favorite sport or recreational activity.
It will be here before you know it, but are you ready?
After a winter stuck inside, there is no greater disappointment than being unable to do the things you like to do outside. Take some initiative in the coming months to ensure that your body is ready to function as desired when warmer weather comes. Spend a little time each day improving upon functional mobility and strength from your head to your toes.
To help you prepare for spring outdoor activities, we have prepared some shoulder exercises. Approach these exercises in a diligent fashion, like brushing your teeth. A few days a week is all that it takes. These motion and strength patterns can be done during the day, at any time, without any equipment.
Access these exercises by clicking here.
As with any exercise program, there are some basic rules to follow
- Focus on flexibility into outlying multiplanar regions first. You can do these patterns daily.
- Following right behind it with strengthening patterns through these same three dimensional spaces.
- High reps and low loads: ie be able to do 1 set of 15-20 reps at a particular weight to build the underlying endurance necessary. You need only do these 3-4x/week.
- Remember to address muscles of the legs, pelvis and torso: ie squats, heel raises and bridging are some examples.
- If there is pain, stop and have a professional assess your shoulder.
Keep in mind that a low level of pain or fatigue (but not sharp pain) may be present the morning after the first day out in the yard or on the playing field. If symptoms are minor and dissipate fairly quickly with activity, this is a normal and may remind you of the morning after your first two per day football practices. As you get yourself into “game” shape, this residual issue in the morning should resolve within a week or so, just like after a couple of weeks of football practice.
Twin Cities Shoulder Rehab
Get a jump start on your shoulder program and reap the dividends this spring and summer. TCShoulder is always happy to help and one just need call 952-922-0330 for some guidance.
- Even a Small Amount of Exercise can Have Huge Benefits for Our Bodies - March 16, 2022
- Maintaining Your Weight Loss Goals in 2022 - January 5, 2022
- How Much Water Do You Need to Drink Per Day to Stay Healthy and Hydrated? - December 1, 2021