Plantar fasciitis is a common, yet often misunderstood condition that can cause pain in the foot and heel. In this physical therapy education article, we are going to discuss 10 surprising facts about plantar fasciitis.
Plantar Fasciitis Facts
- 10% of people will suffer from Plantar fasciitis in their lifetime.
- 90% of Plantar fasciitis cases can be healed with conservative treatments.
- The annual cost of treatment for Plantar fasciitis is estimated between $192-376 million.
- Heel spurs are found in 50% of Plantar fasciitis cases, and are caused by the plantar fasciitis (not the other way around).
- Cost of Plantar fasciitis surgery typically exceeds $10,000 dollars.
- The plantar fascia is the largest ligament in the human body.
- 60 tons of stress is placed on the feet after one mile of walking.
- 50% of plantar fasciitis sufferers are those who are on their feet all day.
- Statistics show that those between the ages of 40-60 have a higher probability of developing plantar fasciitis. Tissue in the foot begins to lose elasticity as one ages.
- Plantar fasciitis is typically a degenerative process but can be triggered by structural, mechanical, and functional dysfunctions. This is why it is important for a proper evaluation.
Minneapolis Physical Therapy
At OrthoRehab Specialists, our Minneapolis physical therapists have three decades of experience treating patients for a wide range of conditions and injuries. We offer direct access for patients who do not have a referral. In addition to that we have standing relationships with more than 600 local providers who regularly send their patients to our clinics for continued care when necessary. Contact us today to set up your appointment with one of our rehabilitation specialists at our Edina or Minneapolis clinics.
PT of Costa Rican National Soccer Team for 2007 World Cup in Victoria, CAN. Clinical Instructor for University of Minnesota Doctor of Physical Therapy Affiliations
Latest posts by Andy Masis (see all)
- Conservative Care Works, Even Though It’s Hard Work - November 19, 2018
- Back Pain? You’re Probably Not Moving Enough - November 14, 2018
- 6 Important Things to Know About Achilles Tendinitis - November 12, 2018