Isokinetic exercise machines allow for isolated joint testing, thus eliminating any forms of substitution. It is the most efficient way to measure maximum joint output.
Here are some of the capabilities of an isokinetic exercise machine:
- Able to measure muscle capacity at every point of the available range of motion.
- Able to test at different fixed speeds – this allows for maximum neuromuscular contraction.
- Isokinetic machines are able to utilize concentric and eccentric protocols for more specific training if necessary.
- Able to test individual muscle strength and compare it to your other extremity or compare it to normative data.
- Able to test muscle ratios at different speeds (quad vs hamstring ratios etc.)
- Able to provide passive range of motion protocols to assist with increasing range of motion.
Advantages of Isokinetic Exercise
- One of the biggest benefits of isokinetic exercise is safety. It provides a controlled environment with accommodating resistance.
- It eliminates the need to overcome that initial moment of inertia. Inertia is when you start to move weight from a dead stop.
- Isokinetic exercise is also safe for people with injuries. You’re less likely to pull muscles or have complications, like sore muscles etc.
- Only way to load a dynamically contracting muscle to its maximum capacity throughout all degrees of range of motion.
- Decreased Joint Compressive Forces
- Joint Nourishment
- Creates slight joint mobilization, which dispurses synovial fluid
- Nourishes articular cartilage and prevents deterioration
- Prepares joint surfaces for demands of exercise and weight bearing.
Velocity Spectrum Training:
- Various velocities occur during functional activities and during sports – this machine allows you to train at various velocities due to specificity of training.
- This increases neurophysiological patterning at different speeds.
- Since the machine is hooked up to a computer, it is able to collect objective data.
- Able to save your test results and compare data in the future.
- 5 Ways To Improve Your Health If You Live In The Twin Cities - December 5, 2022
- What Is Cupping Therapy And What Are The Benefits? - November 30, 2022
- 6 Benefits Of Physical Therapy During The Winter - November 28, 2022