If you’re in high school or college athletics, or you’re just trying to improve before your next rec league game, syncing up with a physical therapist during the offseason may be just what you need to take your game to the next level. Partaking in an offseason training program has many benefits for your preferred sport and your fitness in general, and many clients have seen noticeable leaps in their skill by joining an offseason program with OrthoRehab Specialists. We explain why it can be so beneficial below.
Why You Should Consider Offseason PT
You may view the offseason as a time for your body to rest and recover, and while that’s true to some extent, you need to keep building on the progress you made in your most recent season, and you don’t do that by stepping away from practices or training regimens for months at a time. Here are some reasons why an offseason PT routine can help take your game to the next level.
- Improve Oft-Ignored Muscles – Many in-season workout routines we perform to stay in shape during the season concentrate on the muscle groups we rely on most for our sport. That makes sense, but at the same time, it can also result in us overlooking other areas of our bodies. For example, while a sprinter may focus on their calf and glute muscles during the season, they may ignore an area like their hips. We can help target areas that may be overlooked and help to correct muscle imbalances that can predispose you to injury. Many people aren’t intentionally ignoring these areas of their body, they are just unaware that they are doing it or don’t know how to safely target the right muscle groups. That’s where we come in.
- Strengthen Muscles You Use Most – Similarly, we can also help improve your athletic strength by targeting the muscle groups you rely on the most. We can help you reach new maximum lifts and help you enter tryouts or training camp in midseason form, which will give you a leg up on everyone who took too much time off during the offseason. Even if it’s just 1-2 sessions a week, you’ll be amazed at how much this can help to improve your game and your physical fitness compared to those who only jump back into the sport when it’s in season.
- Conditioning – Conditioning is a key part of any sport, and it’s one of the most noticeable factors early in the season during tryouts or games. Coaches can easily spot who is out of game shape and who has been conditioning in the offseason, because it’s not something you can fake. Moreover, being out of condition can put you at a higher risk of injury if you try to jump into full activities without gearing your body up for the rigors of the game. By participating in an offseason PT program, we’ll help to ensure your conditioning stays where it needs to so you’re ready to roll when the season starts back up.
- Sport-Specific Biometric Feedback – Finally, at OrthoRehab Specialists, we offer advanced analysis of your sport-specific biomechanics. This means we can record your pitching motion or your passing form to see where you’re out of alignment or where you’re losing efficiency. Minor tweaks to your athletic form can make all the difference during a game, and we can help you understand where you have room for improvement using our state of the art equipment.
So if you are looking to make the varsity team or you want to set personal bests this year, consider giving OrthoRehab Specialists a call to see what we can do for you. For more information, give our team a call at (952) 922-0330 in Minneapolis or (612) 339-2041 in Edina.
- What Does A Standard Physical Therapy Program Look Like? - October 2, 2023
- 5 Effective Forms Of Low Impact Exercise - September 27, 2023
- The Best Physical Therapy Exercises For A Bad Back - September 25, 2023