According to recent estimates, more than two-thirds of adults in American are overweight or obese. The health problems associated with obesity have been well-documented, ranging from problems like degenerative disc disease and joint issues to cardiovascular problems and diabetes. Many of us would like to lose a little weight and become healthier, but if you’re finding weight loss hard to come by, consider connecting with an oft-overlooked weight loss resource – your physical therapist. In today’s blog, we shine a light on how a physical therapist can help you reach your weight loss goals.
How PT Can Help You Lose Weight
There are countless ways that physical therapy can help you reach your weight loss goals, so while we can’t name them all, here’s a look at many of the ways that your physical therapist can be a key resource in helping you achieve your weight loss goals:
- Exercise Routine Development – Your physical therapy team can help you develop an exercise and strength training routine curated to your abilities and goals so that you stick to it.
- Injury Treatment – Chronic injuries or pain can lead people to become more sedentary, which oftentimes goes hand in hand with obesity. We can help you overcome an injury or health condition that is preventing you from being as active as you want to be.
- Dietary Improvement – Our team of physical therapists can also take a closer look at your dietary choices and your eating schedule in general to suggest some healthy adjustments.
- Changing Your Mindset – Weight gain or the inability to lose weight can have a significant psychological component. A physical therapist can talk with you about how to better manage feelings of stress or boredom that could be contributing to obesity. Instead of turning to food when you’re stressed or bored, turn to exercise or a PT routine!
- Endurance Training – A physical therapist can also help to improve your heart health and endurance so that you can exercise harder or for longer periods.
- Sleep Improvements – If you’re not getting quality sleep, you may not have the energy to get up and exercise regularly. We can help improve your sleep habits so that you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to be active throughout the day.
- Flexibility Improvements – One final way that we’ll touch on is flexibility and range of motion improvements. Exercise and athletic activity can be uncomfortable if your muscles, ligaments and joints are stiff. Through careful exercises and movement patterns, we can help your body be comfortable with more intense movements, which will be beneficial during exercise and aid in your weight loss journey.
So if you are struggling to lose weight, or you just want to become a little healthier by becoming a slimmer version of yourself, consider connecting with a physical therapist who can help with a variety of factors that contribute to weight loss success. Losing weight can also help take pressure off your joints and slow down natural degeneration, which will help you stay active long into your golden years, so we hope you’ll consider improving your odds of hitting your weight loss targets by connecting with a physical therapist like the ones you’ll find at OrthoRehab Specialists! Give our team a call today at (612) 339-2041.
- Treating Postural Dysfunction With Physical Therapy - June 7, 2023
- How Technology Is Innovating The World Of Physical Therapy - June 5, 2023
- How Patients Can Make Their Physical Therapy Exercises More Fun - June 2, 2023