These exercises accompany an article previously written by Terry Buisman PT entitled “Shoulder Mobility in String Musicians” Orthopaedic Practice Vol. 20;1:08 p. 21-24. Utilization of these movement patterns should not be painful and should be initiated in a slow and gently fashion. Improvements should be noted in 1-2 weeks. Failure to progress from mobility standpoint and/or lingering pain should prompt professional consultation.
Wall Slide Interlock
- Either toe against the wall. Interlock fingers at chest height and guiding with the uninvolved arm (with pressure against the wall) slide upward to point of mild stretch or increase in pain by 1/10. Pause for 3-5 seconds and return to chest height. Repeat until progress abates. Repeat 1-2x/day.
- Both arms extended up wall with pinkies on wall and thumbs pointing behind you.
- Alternately lift arms off wall, keeping elbow straight and arm should brush by your ear.
- Try not to twist your torso as you do this.
- Goal=10-15 reps 1x/day
Stretching Horiz. ADD
- Stand and place your upper arm across your chest and your hand over the opposite shoulder.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together and use your other hand to push your arm in towards you, until you feel a stretch in the back of your shoulder.
- Maintain the position and relax.
- Hold 60sec 1-2x/day
- Grasp hands behind your back, sliding toward the opposite forearm stopping when there is mild to moderate tightness. Pull the shoulder blades back and down to gently intensify the stretch. Hold 60 sec. rest and repeat until progress (sliding toward the oppostite elbow) stops.
- Repeat 1-2x/day
- Lie on your back with your knees bent.
- Keeping your knees together, lower them to the bed as far as you can on one side and maintain the stretch gently and about 4/10.
- Return to neutral position and repeat on the other side.
- NOTE: Do not raise your shoulders off the bed when you lower your knees.
- Goal=5-10 reps 1x/day
- Hips and knees bent at 90 degree angles. Begin to slide the arm along the surface in an overhead direction. Stop at a point of tightness, pause and reverse direction. DO NOT CREATE PAIN.
- Goal=5 reps each direction 1x/day