The following are excerpts from a recently published article in PT Products magazine (Oct/Nov 2020) and reflect upon the importance of physical therapy services with regard to patient care in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the spotlight is deservedly focused on the front line medical worker, physical therapists are also playing a crucial role in helping people manage their physical health issues which are commonplace if one has contracted the virus. Physical therapists are utilizing their extensive movement and exercise science knowledge to treat a variety of conditions that currently impair physical quality of life issues.
- A study in the Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy found 68% of patients with direct access to physical therapy had resolved symptoms without further medical treatment required.
- A May 2018 study published in Health Services Research showed that PT lowers the probability of needing an opioid prescription, imaging services and ER visits.
- Therapists appreciate improved mental health standardized scores and report improved physical and mental health as patient conditions improve. Exercise decreases the frequency of poor mental health days.
- A study showed physical therapy can assist in decreasing the risk for falls by 16-42% (varied studies).
- In COVID specific studies, physical and occupational therapy decreased general levels of deconditioning, ventilator utilization while improving upon quality of life measures.
- A 2019 study also showed the benefits of in home virtual physical therapy care with respect to best utilization of the patient’s time, limited health risk and rehabilitation that could be specialized to each patient’s home environment.
OrthoRehab Specialists has continued care thru the pandemic taking proactive measures to address the potential complications of the virus. One will find our clinics clean, dispersed, masked and following state and national guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Your physical therapy provider is always your choice and the combination of our well established safety measures and one of the most tenured physical therapy staffs in the Twin Cities makes ORSI a great value for your orthopedic and neurologic injuries.
Now more than ever, physical therapists are improving physical health and quality of life issues while helping to improve upon one’s mental well-being as well. Physical therapists are an excellent resource to help the patient navigate the various challenges they face during the pandemic.