Nobody wants to pay for unnecessary medical services, and we’re always looking for ways to make sure that our money is spent wisely. Considering how much free information can be found on the internet, could you just find a physical therapy routine online instead of paying to connect with a physical therapist after an injury or surgery? We share a number of reasons why going it alone may not be the best route if you need physical therapy.
Why You Should Connect With A Physical Therapist
We’re not saying that it’s impossible to go through a physical therapy routine on your own and recover, just like it’s not impossible to win a workers’ compensation case without a lawyer or file your own taxes without the help of an accountant. That said, working with a professional can provide a number of major benefits that you won’t find on your own, and they can also protect you from certain pitfalls. Here’s why you should begin working with a physical therapist after an injury or surgery instead of trying to do a PT routine on your own.
- Individualized Advice – The injuries and surgical operations we undergo are one of a kind. Nobody tears their ACL or dislocates their shoulder in the exact same manner, so you’re not going to get the best care if you just try to find a generic physical therapy routine for an ACL tear or shoulder injury online. You need a physical therapy routine that is tailored to your specific needs if you want to make the fullest recovery, and you’ll find that by working with a physical therapist.
- Oversight – Your physical therapist will also ensure that you are doing all of your exercises correctly. If you find some exercises online, there is nobody standing by to make sure that you are doing each move correctly and getting the most out of your exercise routine. Doing an exercise incorrectly can actually put you at an increased risk for injury, and if nobody is there to stop you or correct your form, you may experience a major setback simply because you were trying to save a few bucks.
- Goal Setting And Treatment Adjustment – That exercise routine you find online may be very similar to what a physical therapist may end up recommending, but PT doesn’t just involve doing the same exercises over and over. Odds are your recovery and progression will stagnate if you aren’t changing your routine or working to push your body a bit more as it begins to get stronger. A physical therapist will always be assessing your form and your progress to tweak your PT routine so that you continue to push towards the goals you have for yourself. If you want to return to the soccer field or be more steady on your feet, we can help you reach your personal goals more easily.
- Quicker Recovery – Finally, one of the biggest benefits of working with a physical therapist is that you’ll likely make a quicker recovery if you connect with a physical therapist, due in part to all of the benefits listed above. You’re going to partake in a tailored exercise program that will be adjusted and tweaked based on your specific needs and goals, so of course it’s going to be more effective than a generic routine that you find online. Also, because you’ll likely have greater physical function after working with a physical therapist, your likelihood of suffering a subsequent injury is lower than if you had tried to rehab on your own.
We’ll give you some specific exercises that we want you to perform from the comfort of your home between sessions, but there are still a bunch of benefits to connecting with a physical therapist to aid in your recovery instead of just going with a routine you find online. To see the benefits of working with a physical therapist first hand, pick up the phone and give the experienced physical therapists at OrthoRehab Specialists a call today at (612) 339-2041.
- Treating Postural Dysfunction With Physical Therapy - June 7, 2023
- How Technology Is Innovating The World Of Physical Therapy - June 5, 2023
- How Patients Can Make Their Physical Therapy Exercises More Fun - June 2, 2023