It can be hard to find the motivation to exercise when the weather is ideal, and we know just how hard it can be to drag yourself out of a warm bed during the cold winter to get your exercise in for the day. It won’t be easy, but getting regular exercise is one of the best things you can do for your health, so it’s imperative that you remain active during the cold Minnesota winters. That’s easier to do when you’re motivated, so in today’s blog, we share some tips for staying motivated to exercise during the winter.
Finding Motivation To Exercise During The Winter
The winter presents some extra challenges for our motivation levels, but you can work to overcome these challenges by keeping these tips in mind:
- Find An Activity You Enjoy – While it may be easier to go outside for a winter run or to spend some time on the treadmill, many people don’t find walking or running all that enjoyable. If you don’t enjoy the exercise you’re pursuing, you’re going to struggle to stay motivated to keep exercising through the winter. We challenge you to find an activity that you love that keeps you wanting to come back for more. Consider swimming laps at the local pool, joining a yoga class or checking out some cross country ski trails. Find something you enjoy doing, and it will be easier to stay motivated to continue pursuing the activity.
- Grab A Friend – A workout is usually easier when you have a friend by your side. See if any friends or family want to help you become a healthier version of yourself this winter. You can start a Peloton class with a friend or ask a coworker to walk laps with you during your afternoon break. Connect with someone who will help hold you accountable when it comes to your exercise and activity.
- Get The Right Gear – Exercising in the elements can be harder if you don’t have the right gear, so consider buying some new supplies if you want to pursue certain winter activities this year. Certain clothing options are specifically designed to be worn in cold weather environments, which can make your outdoor exercise much more bearable. You’ll be more motivated to exercise outdoors this winter if you know that you have the gear to withstand the cold temperatures.
- Work To Develop A Regular Schedule – We understand that not everyone works a 9-5 job, but make it a point to start regularly carving out specific times to exercise each week. If you plan ahead and make time to exercise, it will slowly become a habit. If you simply hope to find time throughout the day, odds are your exercise habits will eventually take a back seat. Prioritize exercise and try to develop a more consistent schedule.
- Regularly View Your Goals – Finally, when we work with patients, we oftentimes ask about their personal goals and what they hope to get out of their physical therapy sessions. We want you to do the same when it comes to your exercise routine. What are you hoping to achieve? Where do you want to be one month, six months or a year from now? Write down your goals and put them in a place you’ll see every day, like on your bedside table or by your toothbrush in the bathroom. Regularly viewing and reminding yourself of your goals will make it easier for you to stay motivated and work to achieve them.
If you need help staying motivated or finding a regular exercise routine that you enjoy, consider reaching out to the team at OrthoRehab Specialists. We help clients reach their goals and become healthier versions of themselves each and every day, and we can do the same for you. For more information, or to talk with a physical therapist, reach out to our team today at (612) 339-2041.