Achilles tendinitis is a common and painful condition that is often misunderstood. In this article, we are going to take a look at five important facts about Achilles tendinitis.
- Achilles tendinitis is the most common overuse injury in the lower leg, accounting for 5-18% of
totalnumber of running injuries.
- Spiked running shoes (which provide minimal shock absorption and lock feet on the surface during single support phase of running) have been correlated with
- Some patients will present with pain and stiffness in the morning or complain of pain at the start of
activity, which improves as the activity progresses.
- Pain at rest can be felt in the
achillesat more advanced stages.
- Differential diagnosis of
achillestendinitis retrocalcaneal bursitis, metabolic disease, arthritis, chondropathic diseases of the ankle joint, plantar heel pain, tibia vara, calcaneal stress fracture, os are: trigonum, and calcaneal contusion.
If you’re suffering from any of the signs and symptoms of Achilles tendinitis, physical therapy can help! Contact us today to set up an appointment with a Twin Cities physical therapists. Our primary clinics are located in Minneapolis and Edina.