Finding the right mattress for your unique situation is essential for good sleep health. But it can be hard to find the perfect mattress. With that in mind, here are a few tips for finding the mattress of your dreams:
- When buying a mattress make sure to find out about their return/exchange policy. Generally, you will need to sleep on the mattress for several weeks before you can assess if it is the mattress for you.
- Studies show that the majority of the population will prefer a medium-firm mattress.
- Before running off to buy a mattress, you may try purchasing a supportive mattress pad. They are a more cost-effective way to get added support from your existing mattress.
Notes on memory foam mattresses:
- Side sleepers may appreciate the pressure relieving properties that memory foam mattresses provide.
- Memory foam will give the best support when used with a firm base.
- Some find them to be too warm as they do not disperse heat as well as traditional mattresses.
Source: Delzell, Emily. “A Just Right Mattress.” Arthritis Today. Sept.-Oct. 2018: 41. Print.